Useful Links

Click here for a link to the Parent’s Notice of Procedural Safeguards (formerly the Parent’s Rights Brochure).

Social Emotional Resource Site for SPS Parents

Massachusetts state agencies

The Mass Department of Education’s website section on special education, at, is an extremely helpful resource and may answer many questions you have.

Created by Massachusetts educators, the Educator Effectiveness Guidebook for Inclusive Practice, at, promotes evidence-based, best practices for inclusion following the principles of Universal Design for Learning, Positive Behavior Interventions and Supports, and Social and Emotional Learning.

Global Special Education and Disabilities

Department of Mental Health – 617-626-8000

Department of Developmental Services (formerly Dept of Mental Retardation) – 617-727-5608

Department of Public Health – 617-624-5969 – 800-905-8437 (Early Intervention Programs)

Department of Social Services -(DSS) 617-748-2000 -800-792-5200

Disabilities Law Center (DLC) 11 Beacon Street – Suite 925 Boston, MA 02108 617-723-8455

DLC Western Massachusetts Office: 22 Green Street Northampton, Massachusetts, 01060 (413) 584-6337 or (800) 222-5619 Voice (413) 582-6919 TTY

Mass Access – the accessible housing registry, a program of the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission – metrowest area call 508-875-7853 V/TTY

MassMATCH – – MassMATCH is the Commonwealth’s initiative to Maximize Assistive Technology (AT) in Consumer’s Hands. As you navigate your way through this website you’ll soon realize that it is the culmination of the wonderful work of seven Massachusetts human services agencies and our constituents with a shared vision of empowering people with disabilities, as well as the general public, with affordable, accessible Assistive Technology (AT) and information

Massachusetts Advocacy Center for Children (MAC) 100 Boylston Street, Suite 200 Boston MA 02116 617-357-8431

Massachusetts ARC 217 South Street Waltham, MA 02453 781-891-6270 email:

Massachusetts Association for Parents of the Visually Impaired

Massachusetts Association of 766 Approved Private Schools

Exceptional Schools for Exceptional Children – This web site is for individuals looking to find more information about private day and residential schools approved by the Massachusetts Department of Education under c. 766. For further information, contact the maaps office at (781) 245-1220 or

Massachusetts Association of Approved Private Schools (MAAPS) 17 Lakeside Office Park Wakefield, MA 01880 781-245-1220

Massachusetts Autism Resources

Massachusetts Commission for the Blind – 800-392-6450; 617-626-7650 (TTY)

Massachusetts Commission for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing – 617-740-1600; (617-740-1700 (TTY)

Massachusetts Department of Education (DOE)/ Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) – 350 Main Street Malden, MA 02148-5023 781-388-3300

Is Special Education the Right Service?

Massachusetts Department of Education Bureau of Special Education Appeals

Massachusetts Department of Education Program Quality Assurance

Massachusetts Department of Education Info for Parents about Special Education

Massachusetts Parent Information and Resource Center (PIRC) – 877-471-0980 – PIRC is a place where parents learn about their rights and options under both state and federal education laws so they can make the best choice for their children.

Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission

Massachusetts Developmental Disabilities Council – 617-770-7676

Massachusetts Family Ties – A statewide information and referral network for families of children with special needs

Massachusetts Family Voices – A statewide information and referral network for families of children with special needs.

Massachusetts Office on Disability – 617-727-7440 Disability Rights Laws in Massachusetts

Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission – 617-204 3600; 800-245-6543 (in MA only) –

MCAS and special education -www.

Trauma and Learning Policy Initiative

Parent/Professional Advocacy League (PAL) 45 Bromfield Street, 10th floor, Boston, MA 02108; 800-866-815-8122; 617-542-7860

Special Olympics, Massachusetts MetroWest Area– 508-616-6663 – Provides year-round sports training and athletic competition in a variety of well-coached Olympic-type sports for individuals with mental retardation, or closely-related developmental disabilities

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) Public Information Line – 800-882-1435

Lists of private schools and collaboratives

Go to this link for a list of private sped schools. Under ‘placement’ they have a helpful check list to use when you visit the schools.

Use of Out-of-District Programs by Massachusetts Students with Disabilities and other reports

Mass Organization of Educational collaboratives

CASE Collaborative – 978-318-1535 Rory Liebmann

Resources, organizations, and associations

A Parent’s Guide to Special Education

ACADEMY METROWEST in Natick: Fostering the overall development of children by creating an environment where they can be physically active, build self-confidence and develop social skills through cooperative and collaborative physical play. 508-655-9200, email:

Advocates for Autism of Massachusetts

Asperger’s Association of New England – 617-393-3824

Assistive Technology Exchange of New England

Assistive Technology Guide to Special Education for Massachusetts Schools –

Autism Alliance of Metrowest – – 508-652-9900

The Autism Resouce Center of Central Massachusetts – – 508-835-4278

Autism Society of America – Massachusetts Chapter – (781) 237-0272 ext. 17,

Autism Society of America (MA Chapter) c/o Autism Services Association, 47 Walnut St., Wellesley, MA 02481 (781) 237-0272 x17

Autism Speaks –

Autism Support Center (Danvers) – 978-777-9135 – – Guidance for children with Bipolar Disorder and other illnesses.

Boston Center for Independent Living – promoting independence for people with disabilities – 617-338-6665 – 617-357-6815 TTY

Boston Public Schools (BPS) Access Technology – – (617) 635-8882 ext.411

Bullying – Internet Resources –,,,,,,

Cape Cod Disability Access Directory has information is based on the guidelines of the Americans with Disabilities Act, but it is a guide, not a legal

CSEF – CSEF (Center for Special Education Finance)

Charles River Center is a nonprofit social service agency that has been providing advocacy and a variety of services to children and adults with developmental disabilities and their families since 1956.

Children & Adults w/ADD –

Child Anxiety Network is designed to provide thorough, user-friendly information about child anxiety. It is also designed to provide direction for those who are not sure where to turn when they think their child or a child they know may need professional help to cope with anxiety.

Concord SEPAC web site – – A great resource for private, collaborate schools, other SEPACs in Massachusetts, and many other resources of interest to parents of special needs children.

Disability Resources – is a virtual library of information about web sites serving the disability community.

Down Syndrome Resource Group – Western Massachusetts – 800-337-7791 or 413-586-8196.

Early Intervention Parent Leadership Project – www.eiplp.prg – 877-35-EI-PLP

Easter Seals Massachusetts – – (800) 922-8290 Their services include AT (assistive technology) Demonstration and Loan Regional Center, AT Loan Program, Camp, Disability Resource Information, Great Hires, Job Training and Employment , Rehabilitation and Therapy Services, Youth Leadership

The Center on Technology and Disability (CTD) provides a wealth of free resources on the subject of assistive and instructional technology for children and youth with disabilities. CTD offers free webinars, articles, guides, training materials and more.

Family Connect – For parents of children with visual impairments – brought to you by the American Foundation for the Blind ( and National Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments (

The Family Village – A global community that integrates information, resources, and communication opportunities on the Internet for persons with mental retardation and other disabilities, their families, and those that provide them services and supports. –

Fathers Network – is to celebrate and support fathers and families raising children with special health care needs and developmental disabilities.

Federation for Children with Special Needs – 617-236-7210 – 800-331-0688 (in Mass) –

Going to College – Resources for teens with disabilities.

Hearing Loss Association of America – 301-657-2248 or 301 657-2249 TTY

Hoagies Gifted Education Pages – Articles about gifted children with special needs –

The Home Modification Loan Program – A program from the Massachusetts Rehabilitation Commission in collaboration with the Community Economic development Assistance Corporation. Metrowest contact- South Middlesex Opportunity Council, Inc. Kassia Pereira 508-620-2682, TTY/TDD 508-872-4853

Identifying Learning Differences APD or CAPD –

Incredible Horizons – Sensory Integration information. Note that they do sell related products so the information may be biased.

Interactive Guide to Learning Disabilities-

International Dyslexia Association – – 800-ABCD-123

Internet Resources for Special Children – – Web site links to numerous organizations and web site for special needs, including autism, visually impaired, learning disabilities and more.

Kids on Wheels a community of young wheelchair users with section for parents and kids. There is a kid to kid advise section and examples of ‘roll’ models They have a magazine that comes out four times per year

Learning Disabilities Association of America –

Learning Disabilities Worldwide – 781-890-5399 – – Create a free of charge, private, web-based community to organize family, friends, neighbors, and colleagues – a family’s ‘circles of community’ – during times of need. Easily coordinate activities and manage volunteers with our intuitive group calendar. Communicate and share information using announcements, messages boards, and photos.

Mass Association of Special Education Parent Advisory Councils (MASSPAC)

National Alliance for the Mentally Ill –

National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) in Mass. – 508-875-1544 –

National Association of Parents with Children in Special Education –

National Association for Parents of Children with Visual Impairments – (

National Braille Press – promote the literacy of blind children through braille, and to provide access to information that empowers blind people to actively engage in work, family, and community affairs.

National Center for Learning Disabilities –

National Council on Disability – – 202-272-2004

National Dissemination Center for Children with Disabilities (NICHCY) – 800-695-0285 (V/TTY)

National Down Syndrome Society

National Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (NETAC) – 919-962-2001 (V) or 919-843-3269(TTY)

National Education Association’s publication “The Twice-Exceptional Dilemma

National Federation for the Blind –

National Information Center for Children and Youth with Disabilities – – NICHCY is the national information and referral center that provides information on disabilities and disability-related issues for families, educators, and other professionals. Its special focus is children and youth (birth to age 22).

National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders 800-241-1044 or 800-241-1055 (TTY)

National Organization of Rare Disorders, Inc. – – 800-999-NORD or 203-744-0100

National Research Center on the Gifted and Talented – – 860-486-4676

New England INDEX Information on Disabilities Exchange –

Outside the Box –

Parents Learning About Children’s Education –

Parent Professional Advocacy League (PAL) – – PAL is the statewide chapter of the Federation of Families for Children’s Mental Health. PAL provides support, education, and advocacy around issues related to children’s mental health.

Parents Stress Line – 800-632-8188

Parlerai – Harnessing the power of the internet for Children with special needs, adaptable to assistive technology devices.

Partners for Youth with Disabilities, Boston – 617-556-4075 – Adult mentors for children and young adults with disabilities, including learning disabilities.

Say it with Symbols is a Sudbury parent’s site! It’s a resource and store for families, teachers and caregivers of child (adults too) with speech disorders. The site offers augmentative communication resources, freebies and other low tech, low cost communication aids that parents can use at home and out in the community.

Sibling Support Project – The Sibling Support Project is a national effort dedicated to the life-long concerns of brothers and sisters of people who have special health, developmental, or mental health concerns.

Smart Kids with Learning Disabilities – a non-profit organization dedicated to empowering the parents of children with learning disabilities (LD) and attention-deficit disorder (ADHD)

SPED Child and Teen – Listing special needs workshops and resources in greater Massachusetts

TILL Autism Services – 20 Eastbrook Rd, Suite 201 – Dedham, MA 02026 – (781) 302-4600

Uniquely Gifted – Resources for Gifted Children with Special Needs (ADD/ADHD, Learning Disabilities (LD), Asperger Syndrome, etc.)

Worry Wise Kids – Great information for children with anxiety, OCD, etc.

Disclaimer: Sudbury SEPAC does not take responsibility for the information from or services provided by these resources.